To cap off a stellar senior year playing baseball for the Anaheim High School Settlers and earning a scholarship to play softball for the Division II ranked softball team at California State University San Marcos, Jillian Albayati has received an annual Excellence in Sports Performance Award, better known as ESPY, for Women in Sports.
Albayati received his trophy this week in person during a live taping of 710 ESPN Radio on the first day of the All-Star Break celebrations. His coaches, Mike Barrera and Dave Reese, were there to present him with the honorary award on this special day.
The recognition comes after Albayati was named Orange County Female Athlete of the Year by the Orange County Registry after becoming the first girl to pitch at a California Interscholastic baseball championship game. Federation-Southern Section. As a pitcher for the AHS varsity baseball team, Albayati had a 12-0 record for the season. She was also selected as an Orange League MVP, an Orange County All-Star, and an ALL-CIF SS Team member.
Albayati will begin his college softball career as a rookie starting this fall at Cal State San Marcos.
Here are the other stories we’ve been following this week:
- Rhea Jethvani, a 2022 graduate of Oxford Academy in the Anaheim Union High School District, was selected by State Superintendent Tony Thurmond to be one of four state delegates to attend the National Science Camp for young people this year.
- For the seventh consecutive year, Anaheim Union High School District has partnered with California State University, Fullerton to host its Summer Language Academy. The four-week program aims to meet the language needs of English language students who have been in the United States for less than one year.
- With new funding for graduation pathways in the 2022 state budget, students with developmental disabilities can now earn high school diplomas, benefiting approximately 80,000 students enrolled in developmental programs. special education statewide.
- The number of students who submitted their application for free federal student aid, known as the FAFSA, increased 4.6% from last year, with California’s rate increasing 6.6%.
- Ahead of a July 18 school board meeting attended by anti-abortion activists, the Norwalk-La Mirada Unified School District postponed a vote on a proposed health clinic run by Planned Parenthood.
This is the part where we encourage you to follow local education news by bookmarking the OECD Newsroom, subscribing to email updates and following us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.